Caring for Gods Creation
"The Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work it and keep it." Genesis 2:15
The news are full of scientific warnings that the Earth is in great distress and needs our help. If we don't act quickly, our children's and our own future is in jeopardy, we are told. God has given us a beautiful planet, but we have not done our best to care for it. Now is the time to act! And the good news is, you can make a difference; everyone one of us can. Little changes to our habits can go a long way. And please do not think your contribution doesn't count. It does and it will and if we all do little steps (or big ones!), together we can show ourselves worthy as stewards for God's creation and return our planet to its original splendour.
"We must remember that we are stewards of what God has provided for us, not owners" Joyce Meyers, Be anxious for nothing
Here are some easy things you can do to help to keep our Earth in good shape:
1. Reduce your carbon footprint and walk or bike more; drive less.
2. Reduce, reuse and recycle as much as you can
3. Choose sustainably grown/harvested foods
4. Take part in local environmental activities (keep an eye on our website for activities!); carry a plastic bag when out and about to pick up litter; educate others about environmental issues.
5. Love plants and insects! Plant a tree, keep your garden green, plant native wildflowers, install bug hotels, encourage insects - without them our world will be in serious trouble!
6. Conserve water (shower instead of bathing, water-efficient shower heads, reduced output toilet flushing system, use rainwater in your garden, do not let the water run while brushing your teeth or washing your hands)
7. Use green energy (switch to green tariff or a green energy provider, such as Bulb) and reduce your energy usage (energy efficient light bulb, boilers, appliances as well as reducing actual usage)
8. Use eco-friendly chemicals when cleaning (such as Splosh)
9. Consider environmental choices when shopping (reduce plastic, buy local produce, bring your own bags, take recycled materials - you can start with your toilet paper)
10. Buy ethically produced products, (ie Fairtrade, free-ranging meat products, responsible harvested fish products)
Together we can do it!
...and we have done the first steps on this journey as a church:
We thank you for all that we have, for the environment that you have provided. We realise that everything comes from you. Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Father help me look after those things which you have given me. Let me not be consumed by riches, yet let me share those riches you have given me. In 1 Timothy 6:7, I am reminded that we will take nothing from this world. "For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out."
Thank you for all the blessings in my life. I pray for guidance to do Your Will and for continued blessings in the life of my family and friends.
In Jesus name we pray.
Here you can find some of our past Eco-Newsletters (you just need to click on the name):